Friday, June 24, 2011

The Traveling Journals

I saw the idea of a 'traveling journal' kicking around the blog world last week which reminded me how I have been meaning to post my thoughts on the subject for sometime.

Over two years ago, my best friends and I started our own traveling journal. We simply write about our daily experiences of marriage and motherhood. We write about our frustrations, our joys, our sorrows, and our blessings. We write about everyday life and what fills our thoughts.

It's like Christmas morning every time I find the journal in my mailbox. I immediately rip open the package and pick-up reading where I last wrote; for the journal goes from me to Kristen in Washington to Tanya in California then comes full circle to me again. My life is on pause until I am caught-up, and depending on how much the girls write while it's away could be a day or two.

Every time I read their passages I am comforted to know that every young wife and mother experience the same basic trials of patience, endurance, and love. We bond through these journals despite the thousands of miles between us. And although we cannot be there for each other every day, we get a glimpse of what their 'everyday' feels like. I am grateful for these ladies and the journals we share together. The only tough part of the equation is deciding who gets to keep what.

Just before we moved from Florida, I mailed the latest journal to the very, opposite corner of the country. I will not see it for many, many more months and yet I am already waiting for it's return. Friendships truly are a beautiful thing.

No comments: