Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ptosis Surgery: Glad That's Over!


Gavin was such a brave boy and the perfect, little patient.  
Sean was a rock star father and the gentle rock we all needed.
I was a wimp and fainted when the nurses took out Gavin's IV.
 
In all seriousness, we could not ask for a better experience.  When our baby was returned to us after those two long hours, the spirit followed him into the recovery room.  We knew he had been blessed. We are so grateful for all your prayers of love and comfort.  They were sincerely felt.

Other than running one hour late, the day was perfect. The nurses were sweet and friendly, the facilities were quite impressive, and the distractions of toys and TV were successful.  And most importantly, the doctor did not have to use artificial materials on the eyelid since Gavin's existing muscles were healthy enough.  This was the doctor's desired outcome since the procedure does not have strong success when artificial materials are used.

Gavin has been experiencing the usual discomfort involved and often remembers his pain while looking in the mirror.  We have been spoiling him rotten with chocolate milk, cookies for breakfast, and dare I say even watching TV!  There is major swelling which is normal and he looks like he got into a pretty good fight all black and blue.

But overall, his spirits are high EXCEPT when I have to put the antibiotic ointment in his eye four times a day!  He cries for daddy and wants nothing to do with me.  It's pretty amusing.  Just when I thought he was fast asleep, I tried to sneak in the lunch time application since all the bribes I was offering earlier were rejected.  Right as I was pulling his lower lid open Gavin half asleep says, 'Mom, go sleep in your own bed.'  And he said it in the most serious tone of voice.  I had to cover my mouth from laughing too hard.  Oh brother, we sure do love that boy!

2 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

YES!

Kristen and Alex said...

That is great news! I'm sorry you fainted, but it is hard to watch those things happen to your children, so it is totally understandable. I'm glad he is healing well. I LOVE him!